Today I am touching upon a very offbeat subject, rather taboo subject of Infertility amongst couples and the trauma they have to undergo from all possible all quarters. Though personally, I don’t relate much to the subject, I have seen couples around me whose life has been devastated because of this, but could not do anything for them besides helplessly watching them through their suffering.
The pain can be best summed up as:
Life is not fair always and when it is not, it is one hell of a life!
Now the time has come to do something for such couples through this blogpost:
Today I am introducing you to my Blogger friend who can be safely termed as Crusader of the sorts for the cause of Infertility and she is none other than – Ms Gitanjali Banerjee of travel by karma fame.
The woman of substance behind the InfertilityDost is very charming and dedicated towards the cause, Gitanjali who got into an arranged marriage at the age of 23 years. After one year of the customary honeymoon, it was time to hit the next milestone – motherhood. And, with this began the 10 long and gruelling years of fighting infertility. Post 5 miscarriages, 3 molar pregnancies, 1 failed IVF, a brush with ovarian cancer and finally successful pregnancy on second IVF attempt- she stands here in front of us to openly talk about her Infertility journey.
Today, she has cute little son to shower her love and enjoy the journey of motherhood but can she forget the pain and suffering, the loneliness, the depression and the desperation, the feeling of being cut-off from society and the turmoil suffered within, during this journey. It has made me who she is today.
It was not easy to open up her extremely personal story and discuss this taboo subject. She had fears – fears of being tagged and judged by the society. Her tryst with infertility over a period of 10 years convinced her that there are a lot of women out there who suffer in silence and one must reach out to them. There is an urgent need to reach up to them and tell them, “You are not alone”. And, eventually, with a lot of strength and support, she managed to overcome all fears and hesitation and, started InfertilityDost last year. The website was officially launched in August 2016 though the idea and preparation had started way before.
Infertility Dost is an integral part of her life, it’s her dream, passion and true calling. Through this platform, she wishes to reach out to as many people as possible. And she has become successful in her mission through InfertilityDost.
InfertilityDost is India’s first website that facilitates couples to brave infertility with support and knowledge. They hold hand, facilitate right guidance so that couples can take good decisions and stay away from misleading advertisements and fraud clinics, answer their queries by connecting them to experts, keep them motivated throughout this tough phase of life, reinforcing their strength and hope, helping them #StandUp and fight society’s stereotypes and prejudices, and simply reassuring them that everything is going to be all right.
The guiding spirit behind this initiative:
There is a need to #BreakTaboos and #BreakSilence around infertility. More than 150 million couples in India suffer infertility in pain and silence. There is a need to give them an understanding social environment so that can deal with the situation better. We must educate the society by #Spreading Awareness and #Talking Openly about infertility
Often it is seen that it is the woman who bears the brunt of infertility. The social and family pressures play havoc with their life which actually comes to a standstill. They forgo their career, become reticent, and add to it the physical trauma of treatments. Amidst all this, the woman questions their self-worth. They get influenced and take wrong decisions. We want to empower woman by providing support and information to take the right decision and to follow the choice that makes them (and only them) happy.
With real life stories, we inspire and educate. We openly talk about various aspects of this journey so that they don’t feel alone. Couples undergoing infertility treatment just need a sensitive environment to heal their emotional bruises and fight back with grit.
Their impressive line-up of following offerings:
- A one stop solution for all infertility and IVF information.
- Accurate information on various aspects of infertility through blogs– emotional, social, psychological, financial, physical and medical.
- Expert panel to cut through myths and guide couples. We have naturopathy, acupuncture, nutrition, psychologists onboard.
- Collates and shares real life journey of women to provide hope and inspiration.
- Find and review doctors to ensure that couples reach the right doctor and avoid being cheated.
- Discussion forum to find support, create bonds and discuss almost everything related to the subject of infertility
- The comfort of anonymity – On our website, a person can log in and choose a pen name to stay anonymous because the subject of infertility is so personal that a lot of people might not be comfortable being seen especially when everything is linked to social media.
- Conducts talks and workshops at various cities to spread awareness and break social taboo and humiliation around the subject of infertility.
- Organize online campaigns to spread awareness. Our blog contest was well received. See it here – http://writetribe.com/talk-about-infertility/
- Helping women acknowledge that help is available and they are not alone.
Social Media presence:
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/InfertilityDost/
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/infertilitydostindia/
If you want to help any of such couples who are suffering in silence, please guide them to http://infertilitydost.com/